Monday, July 18, 2011

It’s only a Billion dollars


I continue to watch the various pundits, elected officials, and commentators discuss issues related to our Federal debt.  I know – I can’t help it.  But I am tired of hearing people say “That’s only XX billion dollars” like it is an insignificant amount of money. 

Sunday some talking head pointed out that eliminating the accelerated depreciation that purchasers of corporate jets enjoy thanks to the Obama “stimulus package” would only save $3 billion over the next few years.  Personally I don’t think that anyone should get special tax breaks at all – but $3 billion is not trivial.  Hell – it might be a great place to start. 

Ethanol subsidies only cost taxpayers $6 billion every year but let’s whack that out of the budget while we’re at it. 

We only waste half a billion on Public Broadcasting each year – let’s kick that in too.  No one I know watches that crap anyway.  Further taxpayer funds are funneled from a wide variety of sources such that the $422 million you see is the tip of the proverbial iceberg.  Shutting down the Corporation for Public Broadcasting would result in a wave of saved costs throughout the Nation. 

I don’t want to hear the word “only” anymore in regard to the debt.

 “That will only save us $2 Billion” is banished from the argument.  It’s a good start – throw it in.  Now go find another $1.63 TRILLION.  

The New Road to Serfdom: A Letter of Warning to America 

1 comment:

  1. I guess that since I am only down $1930 on my mortgage payments the bank should just ignore it. Its too small to really worry about.

    ReplyDelete