Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I can’t imagine Why He Isn’t a Corporate Giant

I was in line at the grocery store today. I had stopped for a few things and I was behind a man and woman with a college age son. They were engaged in a discussion with the clerk about how difficult the job environment was. The mother had allowed that her son couldn’t seem to find a job and was taking time off from the local junior college. Meanwhile her son, an obese young man perhaps 19 or 20 was furiously unwrapping a package of frosted cupcakes. I guess that he had expended too much energy in walking through the store and needed some quick sustenance. The clerk said that her “step-grandson” was having such a hard time finding a job that he was going into the army. At which point she said, “It scares me, I really don’t think that this is the right time for joining the army.” Before I could say anything, fatty said around a mouthful of cupcake, “I would never take a bullet for my country.” And such a large target too.

I said, “I’m very sorry to hear that. I served for 22 years in the Marine Corps and it can’t always be someone else’s son.” I don’t think piggy got it. He responded that you could catch a bullet right here at home. I replied that you wouldn’t if you were behaving yourself. That kind of put a damper on the conversation. Neither the mother or father came to the defense of their idiot cow son, they just looked down. No doubt ashamed – or maybe afraid – I don’t much care which. The clerk quit whining about the number of hours the store was allotting employees and shut up as well. They completed the remainder of their transaction in silence. Better. Fatty waddled out into the parking lot as the clerk totaled my five items. As I left I wished her “step-grandson” well and she thanked me.

Now I am packing way too much weight, but this kid was huge by comparison. I bet he can’t figure out why a 350 pound sort-of-college dropout can’t get a great job. Hell – I have news for him – the army wouldn’t take him either. What a piece of crap. I saw them across the parking lot – probably oblivious to how much contempt and revulsion I have for them. I toyed with enlightening them, but I had better things to do. I bet you they voted for Barry.

Conservative Resistance – Day 448
Days to the November 2010 election - 291

No comments:

Post a Comment