Sunday, October 18, 2009

Goodbye NFL Football

Commissioner Roger Goodell
National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Dear Commissioner Goodell,

I have sworn off watching professional football as a result of the recent controversy over Rush Limbaugh and the Saint Louis Rams. I’m not some committed “ditto-head” though I do listen to Rush when I happen to be in the car during his show. What you and the National Football League have done is simply disgraceful. Even were Rush Limbaugh guilty of the things that were alleged (increasingly we find out he wasn’t) there is no moral equivalent between Limbaugh and an organization that harbors a collection of drug addled social misfits like the NFL. The league of Roger Staubach has deteriorated to the league that enables Michael Vick. Shame on all of you.

Let me explain the issue with an analogy. I love ketchup, but I don’t buy Heinz products because Teresa Heinz funnels money to support radical, anti-American Senator John Kerry. I haven’t purchased or drunk a Miller product for decades because of their support of the radical homosexual agenda. Those two things are my absolute right as an American – however I have no right to prevent Teresa Heinz Kerry from pedaling ketchup or Miller from selling beer. That is where you erred; no one has the right or the responsibility to prevent Rush Limbaugh from buying anything. If the public or the players had a problem with the sale of the Rams, then the public could switch their allegiance to another team or another sport – the same is true for the players. That is the American way.

Honestly I abandoned professional football long ago though I would watch an occasional Monday night or play-off game. For the first time I didn’t watch the Super Bowl last year – I just didn’t care about watching a bunch of selfish and self-absorbed millionaires run around at ¾ speed. I played football in high school 38 years ago and I love the sport, but the bulk of my football attention has been diverted to college ball for many years now. I am already thinking of hosting an alternative party to the Super Bowl at the end of this season. Perhaps we will watch vintage games from when football produced players like Rocky Bleier and not Pac-Man Jones.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment