Friday, November 20, 2009

STOP H.R. 3590

The Honorable James Webb and Mark Warner,
The majority of Virginians do not support the travesty that is H. R. 3590 the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. We do not want the government in the middle of our health care.
Has it occurred to you and your fellow democrats that the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution, and all the amendments fit in a pamphlet less than 40 pages long that you can stick in your shirt pocket? How does that compare to this 2,074 page monstrosity that seeks to erase our liberty, tax us to death, and saddle our children and grand children with unmanageable debt?
I hope you were paying attention to the recent Virginia elections. If you support this outrage, we will not forget, and we will defeat you. Don’t try and fix it – it can’t be fixed – bury it. As with everything that this congress has touched, doing nothing would be preferable to what you have come up with.
Sincerely Yours,

1 comment:

  1. Several weeks ago, I wrote to my Congressman to explain why I did not want H.R. 3962. Today, I received a letter detailing why my congressman ignored my request. (I would be happy to scan or transcribe the letter if you are interested.) Here is my response, if you are interested:
    Congressman Donnelly,
    I appreciate that you took the time to reply to my previous letter. Your answer, however, is unsatisfactory.
    You state in your opening paragraph that, by sharing my views, I am helping you "better represent the people" in my district. Yet nowhere in your letter, which lists why you have chosen to vote for H.R. 3962, do you mention how the rest of your constituents feel. You are our representative to Congress. You are supposed to vote how we want you to, not how you want to. You are not our parent, you are our agent. You must represent our stated wishes: to do anything else is to so far overstep your bounds as to make a mockery of what your job-- and it is a job-- is intended to be. Therefore, the one and only acceptable answer to why you decided to vote for this monstrosity of a bill is because more than 50% of the people who wrote to you requested you to do so.
    I will not debate the rest of your reasons-- that 62% of personal bankruptcies were caused by medical bills, that by increasing taxes yet again we can eventually save money. Perhaps the most ludicrous idea is that this act will "allow people to keep their current coverage if they so choose." Why would anyone choose to pay twice-- once privately and once through taxes-- for one service? In every way, this is perhaps the least-thought-out plan I've ever heard.
    If I were you, Mr. Donnelly, I'd polish up my resume. Because the job you're doing stinks and we won't stand for it.
    (And next time, I'd appreciate an actual response a whole lot more than a form letter-- something that perhaps actually addresses my original points.)
    With great sincerity,

    ReplyDelete