Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Will the “establishment” Republicans please stand up?


Monday was an unusual day as I caught a few minutes each of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Mark Levin.  I found it fascinating that all three of the radio conservative pundits rallied against the “establishment” Republicans in the small slice of time I caught.  I also had an evening meeting with local Republicans that night.  I couldn’t help but laugh on my way home as I thought about the people in that room and how ill fitting the word “establishment” was to that group.  There were more than a dozen.  Were we presented the same four candidates Floridians were there were probably only three votes for Mitt Romney if that many.  One of the people who I pegged as a potential Romney supporter asked me who my guy was and I responded “Santorum.”  She nodded her head and said, “I could live with him.”
Unfortunately in Virginia we will all be voting for Mitt Romney to avoid handing a victory to the Paulbots in March.  But I digress. 
Today I heard the term “establishment conservatives.”  Okay knuckleheads, which is it?  Me thinks that “establishment” is in the eye of the opposition. 
I think that it’s past time to call that ridiculous “establishment” charge exactly what it is – BS.  We “establishment” types are not a homogeneous mass of automatons (like say democrats?) who are all pulling for Romney to protect some imaginary rice bowl conjured up by pundits or critics alike. 
If you doubt me – ask yourself, who is leading the “establishment” Republicans?  Is it Reince Priebus?  John Boehner?  Rush Limbaugh?  Who is it exactly that is making us all sit up and bark at the same time?  Who told three quarters of a million people in Florida to vote for Mitt Romney? 
People are voting and we’re going to have to live with the result.  

8 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned,Limbaugh has an over-inflated ego,thinking HE truly does run the "real conservative" bus.NO ONE does.As conservatives,we aren't prone to groupthink,like these raconteurs would want to believe THEY have us thinking THEIR way.In 2008,Limbaugh went on and on about how awful McCain was,and then tried to say "true conservatives" MUST vote for the man.AFTER not endorsing a single ONE of the candidates. Much like with THIS cycle. Screw him and the rest of them.I'll make my own mistake on who to pull the lever for,thankyousofriggingmuch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clyde,

      Well said. Thankyousofriggingmuch for the visit.

      Delete
  2. Romney is buying the damn nomination. The press is on his side, for whatever reason.

    If the only choice you get in Virginia is Romney or Paul, you should vote for Paul. He'll have no delegates by the time VA comes around, while Romney is attempting to build a lead over your preferred candidate. If you want to keep Santorum in the running, campaign for Other Than Romney in Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tenth,

      I don't think that in my wildest dreams I could vote from Paul. We have to cripple his chances or else we build his power at the convention. It's best that Paul have no delegates by that time.

      Delete
  3. At this point, I am hoping that Romney picks a solid Conservative, like Santorum or Rubio as VEEP. That might unite US against Obummer.

    But in the end, I'd vote for a dog turd over Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read here, CS. And with the two comments I already see it's also going to evoke many opinions. That's a good thing. It's one of the differences between the more conservative v the more liberal mindsets.

    Me, I become confused as to the definition of "establishment" per se. That was a term used back in the day (later 60s, etc) by many young folks. When I would try and pin people down on precisely WHO 'the establishment' was, I got an exceedingly wide range of examples.

    Guess I am just not 'hip.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. AL,

      Thank you. You are "hip" enough for me.

      Delete